suddenly GG won't start anymore

MiroFrey shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

Hi there,


When I tried to start GeoGebra 5.0 today, it just disappeared after showing the Geogebra logo.

Just 5 minutes before that it worked just fine. I am working on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit.


I noticed that the javaw.exe*32 is appearing when I start GG, but after 2 seconds it just disappears together with the logo.


To solve the problem I already tried deinstalling GG, wiped out the appdata folder, ran ccleaner to clean the registry.

Also I updated to the latest version of jre (1.8.40) 32 bit version as well as 64 bit.

Oh yeah, I also tried good old reboot, of course. Also after updating jre.


I can imagine, that there might be some more hidden configurations remaining from my very first installation of GG 5.0 which GG uses without me noticing. The very last configurations I had (an icon for some custom made tool which was kind of buggy because of some other fact) were somewhat strange.


You guys got an idea where else to look for configs or similar stuff?

Or some other possible solution to this (except "use another pc" or "switch to linux" :P )?


Thanks!

Comments (3)

photo
1

I found out that ccleaner did not remove a whole bunch of the registry entries though GG was already uninstalled from my system. -,-


Namely there was a folder of keys left at:


HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\geogebra50


Instead of thinking things through at this point, I simply deleted all the keys in there. Next, after reinstalling GeoGebra for the n-th time, for n -> inf, it created the needed keys itself and finally worked.


Inside the geogebra50 folder there was a key named something with "tool". Probably it would have been sufficient to delete only this one key. Well...

photo
1

It shouldn't be that preferences file the culprit of ggb not starting.

It should probably have been enough to delete the Roaming folder:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GeoGebra 5.0

See the FAQ for more info.

photo
1

with

wiped out the appdata folder

I did mean exactly the attempt of solving it your way. Nevertheless, nothing changed. This is due to the fact that there were these regkeys left, I think.

In fact, I first tried to track down all the (non-system-dependant and non-geogebra-source folder related) queries on startup using ProcessMonitor. Even deleting these files changed nothing on the situation, i.e. GG did not work after all.

After there were no of these queries left (or better to say, all these queries led to a FILE_NOT_FOUND or whatever it is called again...since I deleted the corresponding files) , I decided to just delete the registry entries as a last resort. This did the trick in the end.

So I figure, there must be written something to the registry entry directly, supposing I deleted all the corresponding files, which of course has a chance to not be the case when doing it by hand.

© 2022 International GeoGebra Institute